How to Pick the Right Espresso Machine
Do you find yourself thinking you have found a little slice of heaven when your favorite Barista makes you a shot of tasty espresso? Then why not enjoy this delicious hot beverage more often and make it at home too? You certainly can do this if you have the right espresso maker on your counter in your kitchen. Before you just run right out and buy the first espresso maker you see on a store shelf there are a few things to consider first before making your espresso machine purchase.
Essential Espresso Machine Features and Characteristics
Here are the important features and characteristics to consider when shopping for the best espresso machine:
- Espresso maker type – There are many different types of espresso makers in the home goods marketplace. Of course, the most popular ones are those that heat the water and do other phases of the espresso preparation process using electricity. There are also some espresso connoisseurs that like to make espresso the traditional way using stovetop espresso makers. You will even find portable espresso makers where you have to boil the water separately then pour it into the espresso maker itself.
- Capacity – This has more to do with an espresso machines water reservoir than the number of espresso shots it can make at one time. The bigger the water reservoir the less work you will have to do in-between making shots of espresso. No matter how big the water reservoir is on your espresso maker, you will still only be able to make individual shot servings one at a time. Never reuse old grounds when making a cup of espresso either. If it’s just you and your significant other, a small reservoir espresso maker will do just fine. If you like to make espresso when entertaining guests then you will need a bigger espresso machine with a bigger water reservoir.
- Included grinder – Part of the secret to making good espresso shots is using freshly ground coffee beans. That means you will need a good grinder to do this with. Many espresso machines either have a built-in grinder or will supply a stand-alone one right in the package. Make note of this when you are shopping for a new espresso machine.
- Frother type – Why do many espresso drinkers consider the best part of having a shot of it to be some added froth? It’s because it smooths out the very strong taste that espresso has. In order to enjoy an ‘espresso latte,’ you will need something to make that creamy milk froth in before you add it. That means you will want an espresso maker that has an automatic frothing device such as a steam wand and also includes a frothing cup.
- Ease of use – Some espresso makers are really complicated to use and that takes away from some of the enjoyment of having a delicious shot of it. Make sure any machine you purchase is fairly simple to use. A good way to get accurate information on this is by reading several espresso machine reviews.
- Ease of cleanup – Ease of cleanup of your espresso maker is important for two reasons. The first is that if your machine is hard to clean then it will discourage you from using it as often as you would like. The other is that the cleaner your espresso machine is kept in-between uses the better your finished espresso shots will taste.
- Looks – There is no reason that your espresso machine should be an eyesore as it sits on your counter either. You should be able to find one that both looks good and works well. Some manufacturer’s espresso machine designs are so nice that they will actually compliment the looks of your kitchen.
Excellent Espresso Makers That Include Many of the Above Features
Here are two highly rated espresso makers that include many of the features we just mentioned in the buying guide:
A Classy And Versatile Espresso Maker – EspressoWorks – 7 Pc All-In-One Espresso/Cappuccino Machine
Here is an espresso maker that has just about anything you can think of for making an espresso right in the package it comes in. It will even double as a cappuccino maker for twice as much coffee drinking enjoyment.
Not only is it an espresso machine that is simple to operate and will help you easily make several cups of satisfying espresso, but it has many other great features too. These include such things as a large see-thru water reservoir, 15-bar pump pressure, and a fast Thermoblock fast heating system. It even includes a portable bean grinder, frothing cup, and 2-espresso cups.
A Professional Quality Espresso Maker – Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine
Here is an espresso maker that would not be out of place sitting on the counter of even the fanciest café. It really does make that good a shot of espresso. Best of all it allows you to do it almost effortlessly. It’s very hard to make a perfect shot of espresso but owning this machine will help you get very close every time.
The list of great features on this espresso machine is virtually endless. It has such things as a built-in pressure gauge, a built-in bean grinder, and built-in steamer wand. This model espresso maker could not be simpler to operate as it will do such things as let you pre-select your grind coarseness and brew your espresso at the exact pressure you like.
Follow the Advice Here to Find the Perfect espresso Machine for Your Needs
For those of us who truly enjoy espresso there is nothing more satisfying than a shot of it to start off your morning or to give you a little kick in another part of the day. The only way you are going to be able to do that is by owning your own espresso maker. If you follow the advice in this article you should have no problem finding an espresso maker that easily meets your needs. You also can’t go wrong by purchasing one of the two espresso makers we quickly reviewed here. Either way, there is no reason you shouldn’t be able to enjoy this highly satisfying coffee beverage whenever you like.