How To Make a Frittata in a Waffle Maker
Waffle Makers are Versatile, even for Frittatas
Most gourmet connoisseurs like to experiment with a variety of cooking devices, and a waffle maker is no exception. When it comes to creating, concocting and saving time with a new recipe idea, a waffle maker can save the day as well as the hassle of combining a number of ingredients that require additional utensils, cookware and preparation time. With a waffle maker the preparation and cooking is a cinch, even for frittatas.
What is a Frittata, Anyway?
In case you are not sure about this dish, it is actually Italian in origin and is made with eggs, vegetables, meat and other selected ingredients. It can be compared to a flat omelet with a thicker consistency.
How to Make a Frittata in a Waffle Maker
Traditionally, preparing frittatas is a process that involves cooking them on a stove and finishing them in an oven or broiler. With a waffle maker one part of the procedure is eliminated.
You simply combine (3) three beaten eggs with a selection of other ingredients mixed in that can include cooked bacon pieces, cheese, spinach, and chopped tomatoes. The extras that have been added to the eggs should amount to a little over a cup. Once combined, simply pour the mixture into a pre-heated and lightly oiled (if needed) waffle maker and cook it for about 4 (four) to (5) minutes. Depending on the type of waffle maker used, the four-minute time frame is about right for an average sized waffle maker. Less time is required for smaller makers such as a Belgian waffle maker model. With this simple recipe, your frittatas should come out with a fluffy and crispy texture and consistency.
Though this waffle style egg dish recipe is somewhat removed from the traditional preparation of frittatas, it certainly is an easy and pleasant diversion from using different pans, stove tops, ovens and other time-consuming methods as both sides of the mixture are cooked at once and ready to go when using a waffle maker. Several frittatas can be made at a time and frozen and stored for future breakfasts or even other meals. Frittatas are a versatile and nutritious food choice and perfect for quick meals, and a waffle maker speeds up the preparation process.
Not all Waffle Makers are Created Equal
The best waffle maker for preparing any number of dishes, including frittatas should have the following features to not only cook waffles but assist in the preparation of all kinds of recipes.
– extra thick grid
– removable grids (for easy clean up-dishwasher safe)
– generously sized baking plates
– additional baking plates for other foods (pancakes)
– cut out sections (for waffle section cutting and scoring)
– dual function rotating base for even cooking
– control for browning
– deep pockets for Belgian Waffle making
– preheating capability
– cool touch handles
– countdown timer – digital display
– audible buzz or beep for waffle ready
– indicator light for waffle ready
– non-stick interior for easy food removal and cleaning
– stainless steel exterior
– flipping ability for evenly spread batter
– power on/off indicators
– easy storage
– temperature adjustment for light, fluffy or crispy waffles
Waffle Maker Makes/Models
There are any number of waffle maker models and brands available to consumers that are highly rated and include almost all of the defining features. Though they vary in price from the $30, $50, $100 to $200 plus range, they contain the features and functions necessary to cook waffles and more.
– Presto 03510 FlipSide Belgian Waffle Maker
– Waring WMK600 Double Belgian Waffle Maker
– Hamilton Beach Flip Belgian Waffle Maker with Removable Plates (26030)
– Oster CKSTWF2000 Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel
– All-Clad 99012GT Stainless Steel Classic Round Waffle Maker
– (Breville) The Smart 4-Slice Waffle Maker
Whether you want a waffle maker strictly for making waffles, or you are interested in creating other dishes such as frittatas, potato dishes, rolls, pizzas, calzones, cookies, or dessert type snacks, it is easy to see that a waffle maker can do more than just make waffles.